This brass lamp was only $8 at the my new favorite Thrift Shop, Tickled Pink.
It had some really nice detail, but I wasn't crazy about the brass. I painted it black, using ColorPlace Rust Control Black Satin.
I tried cleaning and then spray painting the paper shade, but it didn't work. It smelled pretty funky, too. I cut it off the two frame rings.
I used the old shade to make a pattern on kraft paper.
I used 2 sheets of white poster board to create the white base of the lampshade. I was able to fit 1/2 the pattern on each poster board. The lampshade took 41" in length and 13" in height. This allowed for 1" extra on the top and bottom to fold over the frame.
I cut tabs to fold over the frame, glued down with hot glue.
I laid 3 sheets of lacy scrapbook paper over the poster board.
I trimmed away the parts that over laid so the curlies didn't cover each other up.
I used spray mount to glue the black paper to the poster board. There were some spots that needed a touch of elmer's white glue.
Fold the tabs over the frame.
Voila! The finished product. It took about 2.5 hours overall to make. OK, I have to fix the top, I put the top frame on upside down. I will just slide a knife in the glued areas, flip the top over and reglue. Our family saying is, "It's not a trip without a U-turn."